Seeking treatment for drug abuse – Know how to approach the doctor
Reports suggest that there is an increasing popularity of drug addiction among the young generation. Drug addiction is more like a chronic disease which has got symptoms like uncontrollable desire for drugs despite knowing the fatal consequences that it has on the brain. The changes that drugs cause to the brain may lead to malicious behaviors and this kind of addiction is a relapsing disease. Even though you may attempt to stop taking drugs, it will relapse later on yet again.
The path to getting addicted to drugs starts with the voluntary act of consuming drugs but with time the ability of a person to not take drugs becomes compromised. It is then that taking drugs becomes compulsive and this happens mostly because of the long-term impacts of drugs on the functioning of the brain.
Is it possible to seek treatment for substance abuse?
Yes, it is definitely possible to seek treatment for any kind of substance abuse but this isn’t something easy and simple. Addiction is a chronic disease and people just can’t stop taking drugs for few days and think that they will get cured. Majority of the patients need repeated or long term care to stop using drugs completely and rejuvenate their lives. Addiction treatment should assist the person to:
- Stop using drugs for good
- Remain drug free
- Be proactive in the family and the society
In what way can you treat drug addiction?
Successful drug abuse treatment can entail a number of steps like:
- Detoxification which is the process in which the body eliminates the drugs
- Behavioral counseling
- Several types of medication like tobacco, opioid and alcohol addiction
- Treatment for constantly occuring mental health problems like anxiety and depression and their evaluation
- Follow-up for a long term in order to prevent relapse of the disease
There is a wide range of care offered with different treatment programs catered to meet the needs of individual patients. The plethora of follow-up options can definitely be crucial for success. Treatment includes both mental health and medical health services.
When should you seek medical care?
In case you see that someone has got substance abuse issue and he wants to quit taking drugs or alcohol, he should be immediately referred to a doctor for some kind of diagnosis or treatment. A health professional can prescribe some medicines to control his cravings and help manage medical complications which are a consequence of substance abuse. Here are few symptoms to be careful about.
- Mild tremors or alcohol withdrawal seizure which isn’t accompanied by confusion and hallucinations
- Yellow skin and eyes like jaundice
- Swelling of legs
- Increasing abdominal girth
- Conngestion, cough or sniffles which won’t go away
- Pain at the site of injection
- Continuous feelings of sadness and depression
Therefore, if you’re wondering about the ways in which you can cure your problems associated with substance abuse, you can take into account the above mentioned options.